Tory Radio: Dentistry disgrace

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Dentistry disgrace

A British Dental Association has suggested 1 in 10 dentists has rejected their new NHS contract.

This position was confirmed when I received a letter from my dentist. According to this person,


Due to continued confusion over the implementation of new NHS procedures, it is with great regret that after thirty three years of providing dentistry within the NHS, twenty seven of those in (town deleted to protect privacy), as at the end of March 2006 I am no longer able to continue with NHS dentistry.

I am one of the lucky ones. I have registered with a different NHS dentist and will be going back for NHS treatment next month. I am lucky even though it took me a year to find an NHS dentist.

Others are not so lucky.

If you are anyone you know are struggling to find an NHS dentist please let us know. We would like to collate comments to broadcast on Tory Radio. You can leave a comment (anonymously if you wish) by calling 020 7870 8658 and leaving a message on our answerphone.

Alternatively post your comments below.

(Note - your comments and voicemails will be used in a future Tory Radio podcast)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having lived in Wales for the past 5 years, I have learned to cherish my place on the register of an NHS dentist back home in Hertfordshire.

The serious dearth of NHS dentists in Wales (they are as rare as hens' teeth, if you'll pardon the pun) proved to be particularly difficult when I was a student in Aberystwyth and my wisdom teeth were causing me problems.

8:43 pm  
Blogger James Hellyer said...

Go private. Membership of a scheme like Denplan is not only cheap, but the service you receive is inevitably better, not least because private dental practices can afford greater capital expenditure than those with the NHS.

2:25 pm  
Blogger Jonathan Sheppard said...

Not sure the option to go private is open to everyone - and the current state of NHS dentistrry surely makes a mockery of the pledge for NHS treatment free to all at the point of delivery.

9:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

PodcastAlley.com Feeds Listed on BlogShares