Tory Radio: The Sin of Private property?

Sunday, June 18, 2006

The Sin of Private property?


Now there aren't many things that annoy me - but one of them is any criticism of people who have done well for themselves - or indeed are trying to.

I am suddenly being made to feel I have committed an awful sin for having two houses. Now before you think I am some wealthy land owner – it is all due to circumstances . Those circumstances were that I had the luck of meeting my future wife – and she had a house in Newark and I have one in Chesterfield.

Now we both have considerable mortgages, but would certainly like to sell one and finally be able to live together. BUT what if I chose to live in one house and keep the other empty as an investment for a year? As long as I kept it in good repair why shouldn’t I be able to do just that? I have made huge sacrifices to buy it. I have taken the risk of taking a mortgage. What gives the Government the right to deem that they should be able to effectively steal my property from me.
(PHOTO - GOVERNMENT'S ANSWER TO RESIDENTIAL PARKING PROBLEMS?)

If you look at the estate I live on (under three years old) you may see that Government would be better placed looking at other issues that need solving. The houses owned privately, some of which are rented out are all great little properties. The communal grassed areas are appalling as no one looks after them. Doesn’t this highlight one of the virtues of private ownership? People have a tendency to look after things they own more than things they don’t.

Then you have to look at the problems on the estate brought about by Government policy. Not enough parking spaces – as guidance is to provide a maximum opposed to minimum parking provision (unless someone can correct me). What effect does this have? Well it doesn’t encourage people out of their cars – as there is absolutely no public transport that passes through the estate. It means people brick over their front gardens – or park on the pavement.

Before you start to introduce policies to penalize home owners – perhaps Government would be better off solving some of the problems that already exist due to their own policies.
Is it really a sin to own private property?

2 Comments:

Blogger dizzy said...

I thought about this one last night and concluded that you just need lots of timer switches in your second home that turns lights and the telly on randomly.

11:45 am  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I guess you will have to buy a second home overseas, does that get round this problem, head off to the South of France perhaps. I'd like a villa in the Greek islands myself.

4:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

PodcastAlley.com Feeds Listed on BlogShares